Friday, August 31, 2007

Another tale of the MBTA

Should've made this last month, but life gets busy...

I was taking the Commuter Rail home; the Rail caters to a slightly more sophisticated clientele, since these are people using the train to get from the homes in the suburbs to their downtown Boston jobs.

So I figure this would be a great place for the CharlieCard. If anything, they must've started it's use here, right?

Well, no.

I pull out my CharlieCard to show to the attendant as he comes through the train to collect the fare. I expected him to have a portable reader, which would be less expensive than the new readers-plus-gates that they use to let people on and off the subway.

"What's that?" he said, acting as if I had tried to pay him using a dead frog.

"A CharlieCard," I said.

"No it isn't," he said.

"It says 'CharlieCard' right on it."

"It's not a CharlieCard. It's a receipt."

I pulled out the other item I got, which had "receipt" printed on it, and asked him what the difference was between the two items.

"I don't know what you're trying to pull, but the fare's $5.75."

Well, okay. I paid in cash.

So not only does the Commuter Rail not accept the Charlie Card, their workers can't even recognize it.

1 Comments:

Blogger John Mc said...

OK, that's real funny. Also shows the T apparently doesn't do anything to let new riders the Charlie card doesn't work on commuter rail yet.

Then again most folks don't even know you can buy (single) commuter tickets at any Charlie machine, so...

4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home